Recipe by TY@peace
This is gotta be my favorite food. It's all mine, as far as I know. My mom gave me the idea though. She told me she liked to add soy sauce to ground-beef, to give it flavor. Also to make it not stink up the kitchen while it was cooking. So one day I decided to try soy sauce with tri-tip, only in a marinade instead of cooking with it. The weight of the meat doesn't make a difference, it's all in the time you marinate and the smoking itself.
Top Review by Hotcooking_21
This is the best way to cook tri tip. I used low sodium soy sauce, Coor's original, and crown royal because it's what I had. Hubby loved it too. We WILL be making this again.
- 4 lbs tri-tip roast (Trimmed is great, but some like un-trimmed cause the fat adds flavor. That might be true, you decide)
- 16 fluid ounces soy sauce
- 2 fluid ounces straight bourbon whiskey, of your choice (I use Jim Beam)
- 12 ounces beer (I like to use NEW CASTLE)
- 1 tablespoon el yucateco chile habanero sauce
- 1⁄2 cup yellow mustard
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine mustard and half a cup of soy sauce in a bowl large enough for the tri-tip to marinate. Stir until mustard thins out.add the rest of the ingredients; mix well.
- Stab tri-tip about 25 times with a steak knife.
- Marinate for 3 days; turn once or twice a day (this tastes best). Overnight works, but try the 3 day method at least once! You can taste the difference!
- The day of bbq: AHH, the wait is over! Fill the smoker with coals! And I mean fill it! The wet wood chips will make your flame die down a bit.
- About an hour before you start smoking, put four handfuls of wood chips (hickory, mesquite or olive are best!) in a bowl of boiling hot water; let soak until your coals (NO GAS SMOKERS) are white or your smoker reads IDEAL. If you have a Brinkman, put wet wood chips right on the coals.
- When the ash clears, add your meat. Let cook with lid on or door shut, about 2 1/2 hours, flip at least once. Add chips every time the smoke dies down. Cut smoking time for rare meat.
- When it's done enough for you, (I like mine well done!) serve with macaroni salad and a beer roll, or potato salad and a potato bread roll. They both are great!
- 7Just make sure you have a beer to salute me if you like this recipe and good friends nearby to enjoy this with you is always great!