Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe comes from the book "Real Stew". The name on the book was: Turnip,Tomato, Chickpea, and Spinach Stew with Beef from Tunisia (pretty long name). I'm posting the recipe as it appears on the book, but I made it on the crock pot, adding the chickpeas and spinach in the last 1/2 hour.
- 1 lb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons tabil, Tabil-Tunisian Spice Mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons harissa, Harissa Paste
- 1⁄2 cup canned chick-peas
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs turnips, peeled and quartered
- 2⁄3 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 10 ounces spinach, cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Roll the meat in Tabil and black pepper.
- In a casserole, heat the olive the oil over medium heat.
- Brown the meat with the onions until coated with a syrupy gravy, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes, 1 cup of the water, the Harissa, chickpeas, and cayenne, and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of water, the turnips, parsley, spinach, and salt, season with black pepper, and cook until the turnips are easily pierced with a skewer, about an hour.
- Stir in the lemon juice and serve.
This was really good but a bit heavy on the turnips. Made for Traveling Through Tunisia NA/ME Forum 10/13.