1/1 Photo of Tunisian Beef Stew (Liftiyya)
2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe comes from the book "Real Stew". The name on the book was: Turnip,Tomato, Chickpea, and Spinach Stew with Beef from Tunisia (pretty long name). I'm posting the recipe as it appears on the book, but I made it on the crock pot, adding the chickpeas and spinach in the last 1/2 hour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons tabil, Tabil-Tunisian Spice Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons harissa, Harissa Paste
- 1/2 cup canned chick-peas
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs turnips, peeled and quartered
- 2/3 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 10 ounces spinach, cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1Roll the meat in Tabil and black pepper.
- 2In a casserole, heat the olive the oil over medium heat.
- 3Brown the meat with the onions until coated with a syrupy gravy, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes, 1 cup of the water, the Harissa, chickpeas, and cayenne, and bring to a boil, stirring.
- 4Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 5Add the remaining 1/2 cup of water, the turnips, parsley, spinach, and salt, season with black pepper, and cook until the turnips are easily pierced with a skewer, about an hour.
- 6Stir in the lemon juice and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tunisian Beef Stew (Liftiyya)
Serving Size: 1 (663 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 605.3
- Calories from Fat 390
- Total Fat 43.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 75.9 mg
- Sodium 1210.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: