Recipe by xtine
A more grown-up version of a favorite dish. Nice as a side for Thanksgiving or Christmas. The truffle oil definitely makes it more expensive, but it's worth it.
Top Review by cm2530
This recipe is absolutely divine. It's like the ambrosia of mac & cheese. This is great fun to make with kids - lots of stirring, assembly etc -- but adults love the results just as much. Superb. I never measure anything and I definitely upped both the bacon and the truffle oil.
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 1 teaspoon truffle oil
- 2 slices bacon, cooked & minced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup gruyere, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Toss macaroni with truffle oil & set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion & cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the bacon & the flour, combine well & cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk & chicken broth, stirring continuously. Bring to a boil. When the mixture comes to a boil, take off the heat & stir in the mustard, salt, pepper & cheeses. Stir well until all the cheese melts & is well incorporated into the sauce.
- Mix together the sauce and the macaroni and pour into a greased baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.