1/7 Photos of Traditional Artisan Style Baguette - Rustic French Bread
A traditional country-style French bread, made the old-fashioned way (although you can use the bread-machine if you wish). The result is a lovely full-flavored loaf with a wonderful crust. Best eaten the same day. Makes 2 baguettes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the yeast, honey and warm water in a large bowl and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- 2In a separate bowl, whisk together the salt and the flour. Use a wooden spoon to stir 2 cups of the flour mixture into the yeast mixture; stir in the remaining flour mixture (dough will be stiff).
- 3Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead with floured hands until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5-7 minutes. Add a little flour, 1 tablespoon at a time as necessary, to prevent dough from sticking.
- 4Place in an oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover with plastic wrap (or a clean kitchen towel) and leave to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 5Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- 6Gently punch dough down to deflate it and shape into two oblong baguettes. Dust tops lightly with flour and place on a lightly greased baking sheet; let rise uncovered for 30 minutes.
- 7Use a serrated knife to cut 3-5 small diagonal slits across the tops of the baguettes, and lightly sprinkle with cool water.
- 8Bake in the middle of oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- 9Best eaten the same day.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional Artisan Style Baguette - Rustic French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.7
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1169.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 13.6 g