Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
A sweet dessert cake using quinoa (Keen-wah) instead of flour. From http://peru-recipes.com/2008/11/torta-de-quinua-quinoa-cake#more-363 The website says the original author is Mme. Antonia Nadal de Garmendia (1876). Quinoa is gluten free.
- Wash the quinoa well, rubbing it in your hands. You must change the water until it gets clear.
- Then we boil the quinoa in water (3 measures of water and 1 of quinoa) and strain when it’s ready.
- Beat the eggs and add them to the quinoa.
- Add the butter and the powdered sugar.
- When all is mixed, pour the mix in a dish and bake it for 20 minutes.
- To make the syrup, boil the water and sugar until it becomes sticky. Add a little liqour of your choice for flavor, such as ammaretto.
- When the cake is ready, cut it in 4 pieces and pour the syrup in the cuts.
- Bake again for 10 minutes to 180º C (350º F) and serve.