Recipe by s'kat
I had never heard of this dish before tasting it last summer at my fiancee's house. Then, everywhere I went it began to pop up. Its simple, down-to-earth charm depends upon the freshness of the ingredients- I can't wait for tomato season to return!
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced 1/4-inch
- 2 -3 tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch (preferably vine-ripened)
- 1⁄4 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 8 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon good quality olive oil
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- fresh mozzarella cheese, , sliced 1/4-inch (, fromaggio di buffalo)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine vinegar and oil in small bowl; whisk in garlic, sugar and red pepper flakes.
- Arrange in individual stacks, or together on a serving platter, as follows: Cucumber, tomato, onion, mozzarella.
- Repeat layers as necessary.
- Scatter basil leaves liberally.
- Drizzle vinaigrette; best if flavors are left to marinate for one hour.