Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I really enjoyed this! It was inspired by a recipe I saw on Food 911. Careful with the cayenne. (I personally like it a little spicy, but use your own judgment) I also usually only make half of this recipe. (I'm the only one in the house who will actually EAT tofu!)
- 2 lbs firm tofu
- 1⁄2 cup soy mayonnaise (or regular, your choice)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (I've used dried as well)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, diced
- salt and pepper
- I always drain my tofu first.
- I cut it into 1/4s, wrap it in paper towels on a cookie sheet, with another one on top, weighted down with some heavy canned goods.
- Let sit in refrigerator for 10-20 minutes.
- Mash the tofu in a bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Mix tofu well with remaining ingredients.
- Chill and serve.
I am not a fan of tofu but I made this for a friend that is mostly vegetarian - I liked it and she loved it! I cut the recipe in half, used extra firm tofu and served it along side a lettuce, tomato & sweet onion salad with hot crispy rolls - excellent. I used the full amount of cayenne (I mean a 1/2 tsp plus a smidge for the half recipe). I did use "Hellman's Lite Mayo" instead of Soy Mayo. Excellent recipe, healthy and a nice change. You may have started to convert me to Tofu (I do like Tempeh) Thanks Koxmic Blues
I first made this 2 years ago. My 5 kids, aged between 3 and 10, absolutely LOVE it! It has a fantastic flavor and I serve it on sandwiches. The kids always ask for it and I make it at least twice a month. It's so quick and easy to put together and I love finding recipes that we all, as vegans, enjoy. We prefer it with the dill left out and just a pinch of cayenne pepper. I also add a little more mayo because I find it to be a little dry with the amount listed in the recipe. Thank you so much for this recipe, Kozmic Blues, I imagine I'll be making it for the rest of my life. :)
In my opinion, this recipe was bland. I didn't have celery, so I used celery salt. I didn't measure the mayonnaise (veganaise) but I'm sure I used more than a quater of a cup. I used 5T dijon rather than 3. I used about 3/4C green onions added quite a bit of sea salt pepper, a dash of spike seasoning, and 2T pickle relish. With all of my additions I think it's just "good".