Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These cookies are one of the most requested. The kids love to help you make these. And they REALLY love to eat them!
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Cream sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla and egg yolk.
- Stir in flour and salt until dough holds together.
- Shape into 1 inch balls.
- Beat egg white slightly.
- Dip each cookie ball in the egg white; roll in the nuts.
- Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet.
- Press thumb deeply in center of each.
- Bake until light brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet, cool.
- Fill thumbprints with jelly.
really really good, I used all butter though and filled the thumbprints with melted white chocolate and butter mixture. 2 thumbs up
delicious! i did however add 1 tsp of vanilla instead of 1/2 tsp which gave it a richer taste, the kids loved filling in their thumb prints with jelly!
Although i have always made these with a shortbread-type dough (I use Ina Garten's recipe), I decided to try a brown sugar version and chose these as they were the highest rated here. I made both kinds, using chopped walnuts and strawberry jam. Honestly, I was somewhat disappointed in both the taste and texture. They were simply okay. Not only did I prefer the shortbread type, but so did the other 5 people I asked to try both and let me know what they thought. They all said that although these were okay, they really liked the other cookie better.