- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Cream sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla and egg yolk.
- Stir in flour and salt until dough holds together.
- Shape into 1 inch balls.
- Beat egg white slightly.
- Dip each cookie ball in the egg white; roll in the nuts.
- Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet.
- Press thumb deeply in center of each.
- Bake until light brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet, cool.
- Fill thumbprints with jelly.