Recipe by Recipe Junkie
From the book, "From Chilis to Chutneys" by Neelam Batra. Serve with the traditional American hamburger fixings or try them with chutney, grilled sliced onion, mushrooms and tomatoes.
- 3 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1⁄4 cup minced scallion top
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed ginely chopped cilantro leaf, soft stems included
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Shape into 6-10 patties, each about 4" in diameter.
- The patties will shrink as they cook.
- Put the patties on a grill over hot coals and cook to the desired level of doneness, 10-15 minutes.
- Turn once or twice and press the patties with a spatula to ensure that the insides get properly cooked.
- The patties can be pan-fired by placing them in a nonstick or cast-iron skillet or on a stove top griddle, and cooking them over moderately high heat until they become golden to golden brown on both sides and are cooked through as you like them.