Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A lovely, creamy alternative to the sin free version, although you could reduce the fat content by using reduced fat coconut milk.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy based pan and cook the onion until soft.
- Add the stock, butternut squash and curry powder to taste- as spicy as you like!
- Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer until the squash is tender.
- Once the squash is cooked, stir in the coconut milk.
- Pour into a food process/liquidiser and blend until smooth.
- Return to the pan and warm through.
- Season to taste and serve.
Yum! I needed to add more than 1 pint of stock (I used Chicken Better than Bouillon ) because my squash was huge and a pint hardly covered all of the cubes. I recommend using "1 pint" as a guideline and adding more broth or water if needed. Instead of curry powder, I substituted Mae Ploy brand red curry paste. For a garnish, I roasted the squash seeds in the oven with salt and olive oil and sprinkled a few on top of the soup. It was delicious as leftovers, too. We'll be making this again!
My husband and I love this soup. it is so easy to make. I just throw all the indgredients into the crock pot (along with some carrots) and go to work. I found the original recipe a little bland for us so I added about a tablespoon of moroccan season to spice it up.
I love this soup but it does need more spices. I added extra curry, garlic and lime juice. Other than that, it's delicious! Thanks.