This is a basic recipe to make bacon wrapped fillet. The searing keeps the meat moist while baking. Note: I prefer a local uncured, applewood smoked bacon. Choose based on preference but try to select a more meaty cut if possible.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Trim the perimeter of the fillets to remove the large segment of fat that's usually present. Be very careful not to remove any meat. When complete, the entire fillet should be considered edible without further trimming based on your (guest's) preference.
- 3Cut the fillets into small, round steaks 2-3" in diameter. Each fillet should yield 2 to 3 fillets.
- 4Add the butter to a 12", oven safe skillet and begin to melt over low heat.
- 5Tightly wrap each fillet with one slice of bacon, pinning the bacon to the fillet where the bacon overlaps itself with a single toothpick.
- 6Add a small dash of salt and pepper to taste on top of each fillet. Flip and repeat.
- 7Increase the heat under the skillet to medium and then add the fillets.
- 8Cook for two minutes to sear the meat. Flip the fillets and sear the other side for 1-2 minutes. If possible, very gently nudge the fillets against the edge of the pan just enough to make contact to help sear the bacon during this time. DO NOT squeeze the fillets!
- 9(Optional) Add just a few crumbles of blue cheese to the top of each steak. Don't overdo this; blue cheese is strong and not the centerpiece of this dish.
- 10Immediately remove the entire skillet and place it in the oven for 7-10 minutes. This can vary depending on the thickness of the steaks (assumes about 1") and wellness preference. I prefer to err on the side of rare for these small steaks. You can always heat them further.
- 11Remove the skillet from the oven and allow the fillets to sit for 2 minutes before you move them. This allows time for the juice to re-absorb.
- 12Gently remove the steaks from the skillet, and then the toothpicks from the steak. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Teixeira's Pan-Seared Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.1
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 26.1 mg
- Sodium 183.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
filet mignon steaks