Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a recipe I adapted (a little) from Martin Yan's Crunchy Apple Beef recipe. It is absolutely delicious!
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 lb beef tri-tip steak
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 large granny smith apple (or 2 small ones)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3 green onions
- Cut the tri-tip into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Mix the cornstarch, soy sauce, and beef together and let marinate while you finish prepping.
- Zest the lemon, and squeeze about a tablespoon of the juice.
- Combine the lemon juice, zest and five spice powder.
- Core and cut the apples into 1/2 inch cubes, and mix into the five-spice-lemon mix.
- Dice the red pepper (1/2 inch again!) and cut the green onions into two inch lengths.
- Put a stir-fry pan or wok on high heat till hot and add the oil, swirling it around the sides.
- Add the beef and stir-fry until it's rare (2 minutes).
- Add apples, peppers, and onions and stir-fry till apples are tender (2 minutes).
- Put it on a platter and serve!
Altogether this recipe was really underwhelming. It wasn't bad, but it turned out much more bland than I expected. Maybe if the whole thing had time to simmer together longer? I dunno, it was alright but we probably won't make it again.
I've had this when Ted makes it and it is mouth wattering!