Recipe by Chef Kate
The spices make this version of the Lebanese salad special--and it's important to use good olive oil and lots of fresh lemon juice. Prep time does not include overnight soaking of the bulgur and herb mixture.
Top Review by Mindelicious
This was our first time having Tabbouleh and I think is was a success - at least on my side :) DH didn't enjoy it as much but he is always hit & miss with recipes like this as he doesn't like tomatoes so I leave them out on his plate - he's missing out!! Loved how the spices came through because I was really worried about that!! This was most excellent!! Thanks so much Chef Kate!! Made for Veg*n Swap 32!!
- 2⁄3 cup fine grain Bulgar wheat
- 8 scallions, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fresh sorrel leaf, shredded (optional)
- 2 cups flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded, and finely diced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick over the bulgur and place in a fine sieve; shake to remove any dust and place in cold water to soak briefly.
- In a good sized mixing bowl, combine the scallions, herbs, cucumber, spices, oil and lemon juice.
- Drain the bulgur and squeeze by hand to remove any moisture.
- Immediately add to the bowl and mix well.
- Add salt to taste, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, mix in tomatoes and additional salt if needed.