Recipe by Jessica A.
High Protein, all natural ingredients. These are not super sweet. The chia buckwheat groats can be found at Trader Joes or other stores carrying health foods and whole foods. I used a product called Super Seeds Ancient Grains for this recipe. Feel free to play around with it. Also, the almond butter can be swapped for any other kind of nut butter and the honey can be swapped for maple syrup or agave syrup. If you like sweeter bars, consider adding chocolate chips or drizzling melted chocolate on top prior to slicing. It's all about experimenting! Keep these in the fridge, stored in an airtight container.
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick cook steel cut oats
- 3 tablespoons chia buckwheat groats, mixed
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 scoop eas whey protein powder vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 ounces dates
- 1⁄2 cup almond butter
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Place one oven rack at the topmost oven position and preheat oven to 350*.
- On a cookie sheet, mix together and spread out the oats, chia buckwheat groats (or super seed ancient grains from Trader Joes), sunflower seeds and sliced almonds. Roast in the preheated oven, on the top rack, for 15 minutes. Check every 5 minutes during this process and stir the mixture around to get even roasting and prevent burning.
- While the grain mixture is roasting, slice open the dates, discard the pits. Place cleaned dates in a small food processor and process until they form a thick ball.
- Combine the dates, honey, and almond butter in a large saucepan. Heat on medium to medium high, stirring constantly until a thick sauce is formed. Remove from heat.
- When the oats are finished, and while they are still warm, pour them into the saucepan with the almond butter/date/honey sauce. The warmth of the oats will help mix them with the sauce more easily. Add the protein powder and the vanilla.
- Mix all ingredients until all ingredients thoroughly combined. This is a very dry looking mix. Do not add more liquid or it will not bind together in the next step.
- Spray a square pan 8x8 with nonstick spray. Press the mixture into the pan evenly. Place in Freezer to firm up for 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and slice into 12 even pieces. Enjoy!