Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I created this recipe to give myself a taste of summer in the middle of winter. This flavorful broth can be used for soups, risotto or pasta (or whatever you can dream up!)
- 2 leeks (slice vertically and wash thoroughly, use dark green portions for broth and reserve the nice white p)
- 1 large sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 celery ribs, with leaves, roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 14.79 ml kosher salt
- 12 black peppercorns
- spices and herbs (use what you like or have on hand. I used green cardamon seeds, tarragon, thyme, dried lemongrass, s)
- Place all ingredients in large stockpot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20- 30 minutes or until flavors are sufficiently mingled. Taste and adjust seasonings if you like.
- Strain first through a colander, then use cheesecloth to capture little bits. Use as desired in any other recipe calling for broth. Enjoy!
very good. i found it very easy to modify to what i had on had. very versatile.
This is very easy and fast to make. For the herbs I used fresh parsley, thyme and tarragon. Tastes wonderful and so fresh. I used this to make Southwestern Corn Chowder. Made for ZWT 5.
I let this simple and delicious stock cook quietly while I made supper, cooled it and popped it in the fridge for later use. Easily prepared with ingredients nearly always in my fridge and pantry, I tasted it and found it excellent. No more stock cubes for me! Thank you, Mama Cee Jay, love this recipe! Made for Zingo! ZWT 5, for my teammate MCJ, Jammin' Java Jivers!