Recipe by Mama Cee Jay
I created this recipe to give myself a taste of summer in the middle of winter. This flavorful broth can be used for soups, risotto or pasta (or whatever you can dream up!)
- 2 leeks (slice vertically and wash thoroughly, use dark green portions for broth and reserve the nice white p)
- 1⁄2 large sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 celery ribs, with leaves, roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 12 black peppercorns
- spices and herbs (use what you like or have on hand. I used green cardamon seeds, tarragon, thyme, dried lemongrass, s)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in large stockpot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20- 30 minutes or until flavors are sufficiently mingled. Taste and adjust seasonings if you like.
- Strain first through a colander, then use cheesecloth to capture little bits. Use as desired in any other recipe calling for broth. Enjoy!