Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Nice and real easy traditional Japanese Style food! These bowls can be of the Ziplock type or other freezer bowls and can be used as a meal for new neighbors, a sick friend or just for you. I found this on landolakes.com. Update 01/07/2008 I remade this and used peapods with less bamboo shoots, sliced red pepper strips with less water chestnuts, increased the garlic to 1 tsp, increased the green onions to 1/3-1/2 cup, and some crushed red pepper flakes, for that extra zing! Just a thought!
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef sirloin steaks, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 6 cups fluffy cooked white rice
- Melt butter in 4 quart saucepan until sizzling; add half of steak strips.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove meat with slotted spoon.
- Set aside.
- Cook remaining steak strips.
- Return all meat to saucepan.
- Add all remaining ingredients except 1/4 cup water, cornstarch and rice.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cook until flavors are melded and mushrooms are tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high.
- Combine 1/4 cup water and cornstarch in small bowl.
- Stir into steak mixture; continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; let stand to cool 15 minutes.
- Divide rice among 8 microwave-safe resealable plastic food bowls; evenly divide steak and broth mixture over rice.
- Cover; freeze until serving time.
- *Tip: uncooked long or medium grain rice usually triples when cooked. For 6 cups cooked rice, start with 2 cups uncooked rice.
- **Tip: to reheat, loosley cover bowl; microwave on MEDIUM-HIGH(70%) power 4-5 minutes or until heated through.