Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Source: Country Woman Magazine Aug/Sept. issue 1994
Make and share this Sugar Free Pear Butter recipe from Food.com.
- In a kettle, combine water and 1/4 cup lemon juice.
- Peel, core and quarter the pears, placing them in lemon juice mixture to retard browning until all have been peeled.
- Drain liquid in kettle.
- Add grape juice and remaining lemon juice; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium;cook until pears are soft,about 20@minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Press through a sieve or food mill, or process in a blender until smooth.
- Return puree to kettle.
- Add spices;cook and stir until very thick;20-35 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in sweetener.
- Adjust sweetner to taste.
- Pour into jars or plastic containers.
- Refrigerate up to 3 weeks.
- (For longer storage time pour hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 in. headspace. Process in a boiling~water bath for 10 minutes. Use within 3 weeks of opening) Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-tablespoon serving equals 1/2 fruit.
We used apple juice in place of the grape (it had less sugar) and this was fantastic. Worked very well with 8 packs of sweetener for us. Thanks for posting Steve, you saved the day.