Recipe by Taylor in Belgium
Grandma and Grandpa always butchered their own beef and pork in late Nov. to the middle of Feb. It was a family affair, everyone pitching in to make sausages, head cheese, and wrapping all the meat!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs salt
- 2 gallons water
- 1 ounce saltpeter
- 1 ounce baking soda
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 1 ounce black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Double this mix as much as you have meat.
- Weigh down meat so that it remains covered.
- Be sure to boil plent of water day before so it is good and cold.
- Put your meat in wood barrels or vinegar stone crocks.
- Leave small boned meat chunks submerged for 2 days.
- Bacon submerged for 4 days.
- Cut hams and shoulders 14 days.
- Whole hams 21 days.
- Storage area must be extremely cold, but not freezing to prevent fermentation.
- After submersion, run thick thread through corner of meats and hang in smokehouse.