Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Lovely meringue based desert with fresh strawberries and whipped cream scented with Grand Marnier. Great for a special occasion such as Mother's Day, her birthday, or just to make a plain old day special. What could be better.....
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely ground roasted hazelnuts
- butter (optional)
- cornstarch (optional)
- 4 pints rinsed fresh strawberries, hulled and blotted dry
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Grand Marnier
- 1 (10 -12 ounce) jar raspberry preserves
- 10 fresh mint leaves (optional garnish)
- For Torte: Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a large bowl using electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form, about 3 - 5 minutes.
- Gradually add sugar, beating continuously until all sugar is dissolved and egg whites form stiff glossy peaks, about 15 - 20 minutes. Fold hazelnuts into egg whites.
- Spoon into pastry bag and pipe out three 9-inch diameter, 1/2-inch high meringue discs onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper or brown paper buttered and lightly dusted with cornstarch. Smooth meringues.
- Bake until very lightly browned and firm to touch, about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Let cool on wire racks in a dry place or dry in oven with heat turned off and door ajar.
- For Filling: Reserve enough whole strawberries of uniform size to top on 9-inch disc. In shallow broiler pan, place whole strawberries and sprinkle with sugar. Place under broiler for 1 minute to glaze; set aside.
- Thinly slice remaining strawberries and place in large bowl; set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine cream and powdered sugar. Whip until almost stiff. Add Grand Marnier and continue whipping until stiff.
- Spread one-third raspberry preserves over each meringue.
- Cover each with layer of sliced strawberries, using one-third per layer.
- Cover two discs with whipped cream leaving third disc for top torte.
- Very carefully stack meringue discs in layers. Cover top disc with whipped cream. Decorate top with glazed whole strawberries.
- Cover sides of torte with remaining whipped cream.
- If desired, decorate with rosettes of whipped cream and mint leaves.
- NOTE: This torte is meant to be enjoyed soon after making it as the baked meringue will lose it's crispness due to moisture of ingredients within layers.