Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I knew I had an okra recipe somewhere. Felt obligated to post it for the okra fanatics out there. Have not done this for a long time. I must try it again soon.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, margarine or oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen okra
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- Cook onion in butter in saucepan until lightly browned.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook until okra is tender and mixture thickens (about 15 minutes).
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
A comfort food from the deep south. If using fresh ingredients, it's 2 cups sliced okra and 2 cups sliced tomatoes.
This was a yummy, easy, and nonslimy way to prepare okra that is so much better for you than frying! I only used 1 T butter and it worked out just fine. I do think this serves closer to 4 as a hearty side dish than 6. Thanks for posting!
I like okra but husband only eats it fried but he ate this and said it was pretty good. It was a quick and easy dish. I fried my okra a little bit with the onion before I added the tomatoes so the okra wouldn't have a slimy texture. Thanks Tebo. Bullwinkle