Prep 10 mins
Cook 13 mins
Easy and Delicious.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 lbs fresh clams or 4 lbs mussels
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh basil, enough to garnish
- In a large stockpot, heat your oil very hot.
- Add the garlic and saute quickly for 1 minute.
- Add chopped basil, wine, broth, butter and bring to a boil.
- Then add clams or mussels, cover with a lid, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove lid, and stir well.
- Replace lid and continue cooking til open.
- With slotted spoon, remove clams/mussels and distribute them into 4 pasta bowls.
- Season broth with salt and pepper, and pour hot broth over clams/mussels.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve warm.
The guy I am dating is a seafood junkie. When we go out to dinner, we always order the mussle appitizer and share it. So the other night I made this for dinner as our appitizer. Was he impressed! This was even better than our usual. I took one reviewers suggestion and did use clam stock instead of veggie broth. I've tried a few others test but this will be our keeper. thx so much for sharing!
I've steamed both clams and mussels many times over the years. The base I use is pretty much this recipe, without the basil. This first time I added itto the mix. It really didn't work for us. Granted, I couldn't find fresh basil, so used the dry. I might do this again if I can get fresh basil, although it doesn't seem pressing.
We made this last night using live clams, fresh garlic, fresh basil, Chardonnay and some nice bread for dipping. Followed the recipe pretty much as is except I added a little extra garlic. The wife and I thought the flavors were fantastic, and we thoroughly enjoyed every last bite. This dish is a keeper, and we look forward to preparing it again!! Thanks for sharing!