Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Hamburger Steaks were a favorite of mine when I was younger!
For the patties
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup crushed cracker (or bread crumbs)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the gravy
- 1 (1 ounce) package beef gravy
- 1 (11 ounce) can French onion soup (low sodium)
- 1 (11 ounce) can cream of chicken soup (low sodium)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- In a bowl, combine ingredients for patties.
- Heat sauté pan (or cast iron skillet) on medium-high heat.
- Form hamburger steaks into an oval shape (this recipe makes 4).
- If you aren’t using a nonstick skillet, you may want to spray pan with nonstick spray.
- Place patties onto preheated pan.
- Brown both sides. You aren’t going to cook them all the way through. Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Take browned patties out of pan and set aside.
- Add all the gravy ingredients to the pan and whisk together well to remove most of the lumps.
- It will take a minute or two of whisking to get most of the lumps out.
- Add patties back to pan.
- Spoon a bit of the gravy over the tops of the patties.
- Cover and turn heat down to a lower setting.
- Let cook for another 10 minutes or so until cooked all the way through.