Recipe by teresas
This is another recipe out of my Asian cookbook...enjoy!
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Made this chicken tonight for dinner. We enjoyed the chicken and it cooked perfectly using the temp and time indicated. I left out the chiles as I used spicy peppercorns and I was concerned that it would be too much heat. I'm still not sure about the turmeric in the basting sauce, but equally unsure as to a substitute for it -- possibly 5-spice powder since it's Asian -- but then it would completely change the intended flavor of the recipe. Regardless, we enjoyed this chicken dish. Made for PRMR, March, 2013.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken
- 3 teaspoons red chilies, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns, crushed
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, soft
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Using a large cleaver, or knife, cut the chicken in half by cutting down the backbone and along the breastbone.
- To prevent the wings from burning, tuck them underneath.,.
- Place the chicken, skin-side-up, on a rack in a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the chilli, garlic, peppercorns and sugar in a food processor or mortar and pestle and process briefly or pound, until smooth.
- Add the soy sauce, turmeric and lime juice, and process in short bursts, or stir if using a mortar and pestle, until combined.
- Brush the spice mixture over the chicken, dot it with the butter pieces and bake it for another 25 to 30 minutes, or until cooked through and rich red.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.