Recipe by Katzen
I never thought I would like squash soup... but when it has a good amount of heat, and some garlic... sign me up! I always make my vegetable stock from scratch, and I really think that makes it so much better!
Top Review by COOKGIRl
This was delicious and I only wish I had fresh cilantro on hand to garnish. Tasted better the next day after the soup had a chance for the ingredients to get to know one another. I used Tabasco Chipotle Sauce for the canned. A spoonful of leftover brown basmati rice was added to each serving for an easy meal in a bowl. Thanks for posting. Reviewed for Veg Tag/November.
- 2 butternut squash
- 2 -3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 pint mushroom, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger (or more)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash in half, lengthwise, and scoop out insides. Place cut side down on cookie sheet lined with foil, and bake at 400 for 45 minutes, or until a fork easily pierces it. Cool, and then scoop squash out.
- Saute onions, garlic, and mushroom in oil until soft. Add ginger, chili paste, and salt. Cook for a few more minutes to allow flavours to mingle.
- Combine vegetable stock, orange juice, and squash, and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Heat gently with onion mixture.