Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A Woman's Day recipe.
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 lbs beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1⁄2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 lb)
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- In a slow cooker, whisk together the tomato sauce, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, 1/2 C water, salt, and pepper. Stir in onion.
- Sprinkle beef with flour and add to the cooker. Toss to coat.
- Scatter the butternut squash over the top and cook, covered, until the beef is tender, 7-8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high.
- Ten minutes before serving, prepare couscous according to package directions. Fold the chickpeas into the stew and cook, covered until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Serve the stew over the couscous and sprinkle with cilantro.
I tried this recipe because I had some frozen butternut squash in the freezer which I knew would shorten the preparation time. You can now find prepared butternut squash in the fresh produce department of your grocery stores.This recipe does not require any exotic ingredients but it gives a great flavourful stew for limited effort. My family loved it served as suggested on couscous. I added alot more cilantro because the flavour is so fresh, otherwise I made the recipe as is. This one is a keeper!!