Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
It couldn't be easier! Makes a nice side dish, or could serve as a main dish if you're in a vegetarian mood! Subtly sweet with just a hint of spice. Enjoy!
- 29.58 ml sesame oil
- 2.46 ml cayenne chili pepper flakes
- 8 stalk asparagus, woody ends snapped off
- 158.51 ml extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 236.59 ml sliced button mushroom
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 9.85 ml granulated sugar
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- Heat sesame oil and red pepper flakes in nonstick skillet or wok.
- Cut asparagus spears into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add asparagus and tofu to heated sesame oil and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, saute, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Mix sugar and soy sauce together in small bowl until combined and add to pan.
- Mix well to coat and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Asparagus should be crisp-tender at this point.
DH is an asparagus fan, I'm not. DD  is somewhere inbetween. This recipe is easy and quick to prepare and is a good way to prepare tofu. The asparagus certainly looks pretty. I would suggest cutting the mushrooms quite thickly. DH and I both happily ate this RSC recipe but felt it needed something extra. Not sure what it might be however. Certainly a worthwhile RSC effort and worth trying.
Very good! The nicely balanced flavors of sesame oil, hot red pepper flakes, garlic, sugar and soy sauce worked very well with the flavor and texture of the asparagus. I made the recipe as directed except for reducing the amount of hot pepper flakes to our tolerance level. The tofu cubes broke into small pieces (? I stirred too much too soon?) but didn't affect the addictive quality of this well thought out recipe. Four stars = very good, will make again, needs no changes.
delicious and so easy to make! i couldn't find cayenne pepper flakes so i used crushed red pepper that i already had and it still tasted amazing. i added a little more of each asparagus, tofu, mushrooms, and garlic and all the other measurements still worked out great. i served it with brown rice as a main dish and it served 2 with a little left over. i also like my tofu really firm and crispy so i actually stir fried that for 15 mins or so before continuing. i read a few people had trouble with the tofu crumbling...i think letting it fry a little longer might help! Amazing recipe. Thank you so much for sharing.