Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is how I got my children to like cabbage. It is a simple recipe. It came from an old magazine clipping, do not remember which one. We usually have cornbread on the side with rice and sausage.
- 4 slices bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 lbs green cabbage, coarsely sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- In a 5-quart dutch oven or 12-inch skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until browned.
- Add cabbage, onion, salt; stir to coat cabbage evenly with bacon fat.
- Add water and reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender and lightly browned.
Afraid to admit but this may be better than my southern grandmother's cabbage... this is simple, easy, and absolutely delicious! (used chicken broth instead of water, didn't need much salt after this).
Easy to fix and taste great
I make this all the time. My family loves it!