1/3 Photos of South African Melktert or Milk Tart (Custard Pie)
This traditional South African Melktert or Milk Tart is a variation of an egg custard pie which originated with the Dutch settlers who came South Africa in the 17th Century. Melktert was then adapted and made a purely South African creation by the Cape Malays. Apparently wives reputations hang on their Melkterts and recipes are family heirlooms. So, for something exotic and a bit different, give this a try.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400o F.
- 2Line bottom and sides of two pie plates (not deep dish) with puff pastry making raised edges.
- 3In a pot, bring milk to a slow boil and add butter, salt and cinnamon. Reduce to simmer.
- 4In a mixing bowl, combine custard powder, corn flour and cake flour. Stir in cold milk and mix to form a paste. Stir in a little of the hot milk mixture.
- 5Stir custard mixture into the pot of hot milk. Add 4 tbsp of the sugar and bring to a boil, stirring continuously.
- 6Remove from heat once the mixture has thickened. Discard cinnamon.
- 7Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar. Set Aside.
- 8Beat egg yolks lightly and add a little of the custard mixture to the egg yolks.
- 9Then stir the yolk/custard mixture into the main custard mixture and add almond extract.
- 10Gently FOLD in the egg whites.
- 11Pour the mixture into the awaiting pie pans and bake for approximately 10 minutes.
- 12Lower the temperature to 350 F and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the filling has set.
- 13Cool slightly and sprinkle the top of the custard pie with cinnamon and sugar.
- 14Serve cold.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for South African Melktert or Milk Tart (Custard Pie)
Serving Size: 1 (1314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1263.1
- Calories from Fat 627
- Total Fat 69.7 g
- Saturated Fat 24.6 g
- Cholesterol 432.9 mg
- Sodium 715.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 125.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 51.2 g
- Protein 33.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: