Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this in the Vegetarian Times. It is more casserole than just mashed, but it doesn't have marshmallows as the usual casseroles do.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3 bananas
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- Cook potatoes in boiling water 15-20 minutes or until tender; drain and mash in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mash bananas and add to the bowl along with milk, juice, honey, allspice, and ginger.
- Bake mixture in a greased casserole for 1 hour.
I think my main problem with this dish is that I expected it to be more of a main course, one-dish meal, but it's really more of a vegetable side dish. By itself, as a casserole, I felt it was a bit lacking in flavor and variety. Adding sour cream before serving definitely helped to give it some "lift."
This recipe is super fantastic. Honey is one of my favourite foods, it is a much better sweetener than marshmallows. I did not make it with apple juice this time because I don't have any so I added 1 tbsp of butter to the mix and I glazed the top of the casserol with 1/2 tbsp of butter about half way through.