Recipe by Colby's Mom
Great mashed potatoes!
Top Review by Zewbiedoo
This was very good. I used fat-free half-n-half instead of heavy cream, and reduced-fat sour cream, since that's what I had on hand. I also added about 1/2 tsp each of garlic powder and dried parsley for a little extra zing. Thanks!
- 4 lbs small new red potatoes, quartered
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes in 5-6 quart Dutch oven; add enough cold water to cover potatoes.
- Add 2 tsp salt to water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a small knife.
- In small saucepan over low heat, heat together heavy cream and butter for 5 minutes or until butter is melted and mixture is heated through.
- Drain potatoes; transfer to large bowl.
- With potato masher, smash potatoes together with hot cream mixture until well blended.
- To potatoes, add sour cream, remaining salt, and the pepper.
- Blend in with the potato masher; continue to smash until desired consistency is achieved.