Recipe by Sharon123
This easy vegetarian smashed chickpea sandwich has all of the flavors of traditional Greek Salad, but in salad sandwich form. From Two Peas and their Pod.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
I enjoyed this salad stuffed inside of a pita pocket. I used mayo because that is what I had on hand, but I think I would have enjoyed it better with the Greek yogurt option. I appreciated that this made for a quick and easy meal with ingredients I typically have. Thanks for posting.
- 453.59 g can chickpeas (or garbanzo beans)
- 36.97 ml mayonnaise (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 78.07 ml feta cheese
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- 29.58 ml diced red onions
- 59.14 ml diced kalamata olive, pits removed
- 59.14 ml diced cucumber
- 1.23 ml dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- whole wheat bread, slices for sandwich
- spinach leaves, for sandwich
- grape tomatoes, for sandwiches or tomatoes, slices for sandwiches
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Place on a paper towel and remove the outer skins. They come off easily by rolling them around on the paper towel. You can leave them on, but I like to remove them.
- In a medium bowl, using a fork or potato masher smash the chickpeas, mayonnaise(or yogurt, and feta cheese together. Add in the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, red onion, kalamata olives, cucumber, and oregano. Mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread chickpea salad on bread and top with your favorite sandwich toppings. I like to add fresh spinach leaves and tomatoes. The filling will make 3-4 sandwiches, depending on how thick you layer it on and how big your bread is. Enjoy!
- Note: You can also eat this salad with pita chips or crackers. It is also good inside of a pita pocket. Serve with gluten-free bread or crackers, if you are eating gluten-free.