1/3 Photos of Skillet Flatbread from King Arthur Flour
Bonnie G #2's Note:
Found this recipe on King Arthur Flour site and I've recently been enjoying flatreads and this one looks good. King Arthur describes it this way: "Using a basic ratio of five pantry staples, you can have fresh, hot bread on the table in less than 30 minutes AND no need to turn on the oven. Add and change ingredients to your taste, and you'll have an endless array of tasty flatbreads to accompany any meal."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- 2Add the oil and ice water, and mix to make a soft, cohesive dough. Adjust with flour or water as needed. The dough should be moist but not sticky. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 3Preheat a heavy-bottomed skillet on the stovetop. Add 1 tablespoon oil and heat until the oil starts to shimmer in the pan.
- 4Divide the dough into 10 to 12 equal pieces. Each piece should weigh about 1 1/2 to 2 ounces, about the size of a large egg. Dredge each piece in flour, and roll to a rough circle or oval, about 1/4" thick. OR hand shape the pieces by flattening between your palms.
- 5In batches, fry the flatbreads in the hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip and fry on the second side for another 2 minutes. Transfer from the pan to a rack to cool slightly before serving. Add more oil as needed for frying successive batches.
- 7Rye variation: Replace 1 cup of the all-purpose flour with 1 cup Rye Flour and 2 teaspoons Deli Rye Flavor. All other ingredients remain the same. Serve with cream cheese, chives, tomato, thinly sliced onion and capers.
- 8Pizza bread version: Add 2 teaspoons Pizza Dough Flavor and 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs or Pizza Seasoning to the flour mixture. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet Flatbread from King Arthur Flour
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.7
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 422.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: