Recipe by kiwidutch
Between the teachings of my Grandmother, an Aunt, my Mother and several restaurants I learned a lot about serviette/ napkin folding. Here's a step-by-step instruction on how to make one of the easiest of them all.. a simple folded on with the napkin ring holding everything in place. Works well with cloth napkins, or larger paper ones. I have included step-by-step photographs to illustrate/suppliment the written directions. For neater presentation use ironed napkins for this fold. You will need one Serviette Ring per serviette.
- 1 paper, serviette (large)
- 1 cloth, serviette (large)
- 1 small flour, per serviette (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lay your serviette square out flat before you. Fold it in half horizontally.
- Take the serviette and fold it in half again vertically so that it is now a small square a quarter the size of the origonal square.
- Only one corner of the square will have 4 open / loose edges, rotate your square so that it is a flat diamond shape with the open corner pointing downwards. We will call this the South corner, and the top corner opposite North.
- Grasp your serviette about 2/3 of the ways up and starting at point that is on the East side of your serviette, make 5 folds or pleats more or less the same size, folding/ pleating towards from the East point to the West point.
- Slip your Serviette Ring over the north point and gently pull downwards so that only the top 1/3 of the serviette goes though the ring. Keep the north point of the serviette nicely centered.
- Spread the bottom half out the serviette into a fan formation so that both halves are equal and it looks pleasingly balanced.The top of the serviette should taper gently up to the North point and if wanted a small flower can be inserted into the fold at the top and down into the napkin ring.
- Place on empty plate.