Recipe by Pinay0618
Copycat recipe found at allrecipes. I could go to Schloztky's and be happy with a bread sandwich - can't wait to try this!
Top Review by Andrew S.
This recipe makes a good bread but I followed the it to the tee and it is not very schlotsky like. It's harder and chewier. Also the recipe indicates to beat the (batter) dough and you will burn out your hand mixer this way. I'd suggest a kitchen aid with dough hook.
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 3⁄4 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl stir together the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Stir to dissolve and set aside.
- In a large bowl dissolve baking soda with the 1 1/2 teaspoons warm water. Add the warm milk, salt, and one cup of the flour. Beat with a wire whisk until smooth. Beat in yeast mixture and remaining flour. Batter should be thick, sticky, and smooth.
- Prepare 2 pie pans with non-stick spray. Dust pans with cornmeal. Place 1/2 dough in each pie pan. Batter will spread during rising time. Spray top of dough with non-stick cooking spray. Cover and let rise for one hour.
- Repeat spraying of bread with non-stick cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F (190 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for an hour before slicing.