Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I could eat a whole pan of this.....don't let the amount of onions scare you.....they cook down.
- 8 ounces noodles
- 4 -5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon paprika, depending on taste,plus
- extra paprika, for sprinkling
- 2 large eggs, beaten well
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook noodles uncovered in a large pot of boiling salted water over high heat about 4 minutes or until nearly tender but firmer than usual.
- Drain, rinse with cold water, then drain well again.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and saute about 20 minutes or until very tender and light brown, (but not burned!) stirring occasionally.
- Add salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon paprika, and saute about 5 minutes or until well browned.
- Cool slightly.
- Stir onion mixture into noodles.
- Adjust seasoning, mixture should be seasoned generously.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Oil a 2 quart baking dish and add noodle mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon oil, then dust with paprika.
- Bake uncovered 1 hour or until set.
- Serve from baking dish.
I also added 4 eggs instead of 2.
Although I personally enjoyed the recipe as is I had a few friends that thought it needed something... I added parmesan cheese the second time around and I think it gave it the extra kick it was missing.
I found the onions took away from the kugel. It's a much crisper and simple taste without the onions and paprika.