Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 35 mins
A.1. Original Sauce Recipe Contest Entry. This versatile, soft and chewy bread requires only basic bread making skills. The bread makes super sandwiches, but is equally good with salads, soups and main dishes. My family has been known to eat an entire loaf with butter for a snack! Everyone will be so surprised with the ease in preparation and the ingredients in which this artisan style bread is made. You will want to make two loafs as fast as this bread is eaten, one to freeze and the other to savor. Who knew that A.1. sauce is not only for steak!
- Place mayo, A.1. sauce, brown sugar in a one cup measurement. Add enough water to equal one cup. Stir to combine. Add mixture to mixing bowl with a bread dough hook attached.
- Add yeast to bowl, stir and let sit for approximately 5 minutes or until yeast "blooms".
- Add flour, polenta, salt, oil and mayo to bowl. Turn mixer to medium and kneed for 4-5 minutes. Clean dough hook and remove. Cover bowl with a towel and let rise for approximately 1 hour or until dough is doubled in size. Dough will be sticky and soft.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove dough from bowl on a lightly floured surface. Hand kneed dough for 2-3 minutes until elastic and no longer sticky.
- Spray a 8 inch round pan or casserole dish with oil and as evenly as you can press dough to cover entire bottom on pan. Let rise in a warm place for another hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- With a very sharp knife, cut the top of dough in an X, one half inch deep from one side of the pan to the other. Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped and top of loaf is golden brown.
- Remove loaf and let sit for 5 minutes in pan. Take loaf out of pan and place on rack to cool. Serve sliced when cooled.