1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Forever His's Note:
A dense cake, similar to a fruitcake that we have each Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter! This recipe has been in my family for generations! Don't be turned off by a cake using sausage as an ingredient!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb ground sausage (mild, or I have the butcher grind up pork cutlets)
- 2 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 lb walnuts
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee (brewed, NOT coffee grounds!)
- 3/4 teaspoon spices (nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves or pumpkin pie spice)
- 1 (16 ounce) box raisins
- 1Mix all ingredients by hand in a large mixing bowl.
- 2You will bake it like a fruit cake.
- 3Fill pan almost full (I use an angel food cake pan).
- 4Cover with paper last hour of baking.
- 5Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 1-1/2 hours.
- 6Bake until toothpick in center comes out clean.
- 7Cool; wrap in waxed paper or foil.
- 8In olden days, cakes were wrapped in wine-dampened cloth to keep them moist and mellow.
- 9Store in air-tight container in cool place.
- 10This recipe has been passed down from my native American ancestors: my Grandpa was half Cherokee, half Cheyenne.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Cake
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1050.8
- Calories from Fat 440
- Total Fat 48.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.6 mg
- Sodium 532.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 144.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 97.6 g
- Protein 20.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: