Recipe by mary134e
These little cookies look like glittery strawberries. They're very sweet, but absolutely delicious. They look fabulous on a tray for a holiday party. I got the recipe from a teacher I was assisting in Colorado back in the early 1970s. We've made them as gifts for Mother's Day and Valentine's Day as well as the December holidays.
- 2 (6 ounce) boxes wild strawberry gelatin
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces red sugar crystals (approximately)
- 3 ounces green sugar crystals (approximately)
- 50 -60 slivered almonds
- 20 drops green food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Read the whole recipe before starting, and set everything out that you will need before starting. When you have everything ready, combine Jello, pecans, coconut. Mix well.
- Add in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Stir to form a ball of dough. Cover and chill 1/2 to 1 hour or longer.
- Place about 50-60 of the slivered almonds in a jar with a lid, add 15-20 drops of green food color, and shake the closed jar until the color is evenly distributed and the almonds are colored green. These will be your strawberry stems.
- Cover your cookie sheet or tray with waxed paper. Remove 1/2 of dough, leave the rest covered. Shape by tablespoonful into a ball then add a point on one end and flatten the other end to get the approximate shape of a strawberry.
- With the red and green sugars on separate saucers or pie pans, roll the pointed end in the red sugar, then dip the flat end in the green sugar.
- Insert a green slivered almond into the middle of the green sugared flat side of the strawberry. Set the finished berry on the wax paper. and start over shaping your next strawberry.