Prep 20 mins
Cook 960 hrs
These cookies were amazing. They are a nut lovers dream come true! We made these for Christmas 2005 and they went over very well.
For the cookie layer
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
For the topping
- 3 ounces whole almonds, with skin
- 4 ounces hazelnuts, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 6 ounces cashews
- 5 ounces pistachios
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees F and place oven rack in the middle position.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut the chilled butter into the flour mixture.
- Continue this process with the butter until all the butter is gone and the flour-mixture looks like a coarse meal in pea-sized butter lumps.
- Add the egg to the flour.
- Mix dough using a rubber spatula or (clean) hands until butter and egg are incorporated efficiently.
- Place the dough in a 13"x9" buttered glass baking dish.
- Press the dough evenly on bottom. Do not press up the sides of the dish.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove, allow to cool for 40 minutes and set aside.
- ** (optional) Meanwhile, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Place the almonds and hazelnuts in a shallow baking dish and roast in the oven from 8-10 minutes.
- Remove, and increase the oven temperature back to 375 degrees F. **(optional).
- In a medium sized sauce pan, bring the honey, brown sugar and salt to a small boil over a medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Then boil, without stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add butter and cream and continue to boil for one minute, allowing the butter to melt. Remove from heat and add all of the nuts to the syrup, coating thoroughly.
- Spread nut mixture over the cookie crust. Place baking dish back in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the top has carmelized and bubbled.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in refrigerator for an hour.
- Cut and serve.