Recipe by CarolineOYum
You'll need a good juicer. Rooibos (redbush) is a herb-type plant that only thrives in the Cederberg mountain area, about 200 kms north of Cape Town, South Africa. Its health properties have been increasingly studied and confirmed in recent years and the tea (tisane, or infusion) of rooibos has become popular in Western countries and is available in the herbal tea section of many supermarkets as well as specialty health stores. Babies that grow up in South Africa are often fed rooibos tea from the bottle. It is high in antioxidants and micro-nutrients, and contains no caffeine. Since I live near to where rooibos is grown and I have a newfound love affair with juicing fresh fruits, I want to share this awesome iced tea, packed full of goodness. You won't need to sweeten this iced tea, since there is so much sweetness and deliciousness in the fresh apple juice. The ginger adds zing and has additional health benefits, and the lemon adds a hint of tartness and of course Vitamin C.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Very simple and a refreshing change. I drink rooibos on a daily basis and also love all the other healthy ingredients in this recipe, so it was a great pleasure to make and enjoy! I used Granny Smith apples, the only ones I really enjoy. Thank you, Caroline, enjoyed this, made for Spring PAC 2013
- 800 ml water
- 6 rooibos tea bags
- 4 apples, any eating apples are fine but my favourite are Granny Smith apples, green, tart and so very sweet
- 2 cm fresh ginger, peel included
- 2 cm fresh lemon, washed, peel included
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water and pour over rooibos teabags in a teapot or jug. You'll see the lovely red colour developing immediately.
- Allow rooibos infusion to cool down and transfer to fridge, with tea bags remaining - you really want to extract the most out of this healthy tea.
- Juice apples with ginger and lemon and chill in fridge. (Use freezer for the juice and rooibos to shorten time between making and serving.).
- To serve, fill each glass with about two-thirds rooibos and one-third juice, adjusting according to your guest's taste for sweetness. Stir and enjoy this healthy iced rooibos tea!