Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
Unusual apple strudel recipe without the fat from the pastry. For a vegan version substitute butter for soy margarine or Nutalex.
Top Review by Mohamjip
I came up with the idea that I'd try to make an apple turnover, using rice paper. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I found this recipe. Thank you ... it is almost exactly as I would have made it. Not sure what size rice paper you used, as I have two sizes here, but I will experiment and see what happens. Thanks.
- 2 green apples, peeled cored and cut into 1/2cm slices
- 14.79-29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 44.37 ml brown sugar
- 59.16 ml chopped walnuts, toasted
- 59.16 ml melted unsalted butter or 59.16 ml soy margarine
- 100 g caster sugar
- 8 rice paper sheets
- 29.58 ml icing sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 220 Degrees Celsius.
- Combine apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, walnuts and 1 tbs melted butter.
- Line baking sheet with baking paper.
- Pour 6 cups hot water in a bowl and dissolve caster sugar inches.
- Place 1 rice paper wrapper in water to soften, transfer to board and brush with extra melted butter.
- Divide filling in a sausage shape on one side of wrapper levaing 3cm border.
- Fold in end and roll up to enclose filling.
- Place on baking sheet seam side down.
- Brush top with melted butter.
- Repeat for all.
- Bake in oven 15-20 minutes. Serve warm dusted with icing sugar.