Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Vegetarian Gourmet way back in the 90s. Holiday issue. Recommended with Black Bean Stuffed Peppers.
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons egg substitute or 1 whole egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs (optional)
- Cook your lentils.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Oil a loaf pan and sprinkle sides and bottom with a tbsp of oats.
- Whisk egg replacer and water until light and foamy.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg replacer and lentils with the remaining ingredients. Add the bread crumbs if you desire a firmer loaf.
- Press mixture into loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with a red pepper sauce.
- Directions for the lentils per request:.
- 3 cups water to 1 cup dried red lentils.
- Stove top, you are looking at 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pressure cooker, 5 to 7 minutes.
- That should give you 1 2/3 cup cooked lentils.
- DO NOT SOAK.
Minus the oats. Add 1 cup bread crumbs. Add 1 jar of tomato sauce and yummy!!
Step one: Cook your lentils. I will have to make note of that NEXT time I make this. Cook your lentils. I'll update when I re-make this. :)
Great recipe, I did add sauteed onions and a lot more garlic to it!