Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the best chocolate cake recipe I've ever discovered bar none. I've been making this cake to rave reviews since 1966. Give it a try and see if you don't agree.
- Prepare greased baking pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Baking time is 30 minutes. Time will vary depending on size of pans or muffin cups used.
- Stir shortening to soften.
- Gradually add 1 cup sugar, creaming together until light and fluffy.
- Add salt and vanilla. Combine mixture.
- Add flour alternately with 1 cup cold water, beginning and ending with flour. Beat after each addition.
- Beat egg whites till soft peaks form; gradually add 3/4 cup sugar beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Dissolve baking soda in 1/3 cup cold water; stir into batter mixing thoroughly.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pans.
My kids love this, and I have found it's not hard at all to make for a from-scratch recipe. Thank you for posting.