Recipe by F-16 momma
Very light and refreshing dessert bars. Could exchange raspberry preserves for any type--blackberry, strawberry, etc.--and they'd be just as good.
Top Review by sheepdoc
These were yummy. I made 1/2 a recipe in a 9x9 pan. There wasn't much flour so I used gluten free and it turned out fine. Also used real butter. I used Smucker's triple berry preserves and left out the coconut.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (softened)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup seedless raspberry preserves (or other berry of your choice) or 1 cup raspberry jam
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Set aside 1/2 cup crumb mixture for topping.
- For crust, press the remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or till the edges are golden.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, eggs and almond extract till smooth.
- Spread over the hot crust.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Spread preserves over cream cheese mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the reserved crumb mixture, coconut and sliced almonds-sprinkle over preserves.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes more.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Chill for 3 hours before cutting into bars.
- Store in the fridge.