2 hrs 50 mins
Austrian yeast cake, only this one has flecks of chocolate through the filling with raisins...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 lb unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 (2 1/2 teaspoon) package active dry yeast
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- powdered sugar, for sprinkling as a garnish
- 1In a medium saucepot scald the whole milk and remove from heat.
- 2Stir in sugar, butter, salt, and vanilla.
- 3Transfer to your large mixer bowl and let cool to lukewarm.
- 4Using paddle attachment, low speed add 1 1/2 cups of the flour with the yeast.
- 5Stir in the eggs.
- 6Then stir in the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time.
- 7Beat on medium speed until dough starts to come away from sides of bowl.
- 8Remove the dough from bowl to a floured surface.
- 9Knead briefly until smooth.
- 10Grease a clean large bowl, with soft butter, and place dough into bowl to rise untuil doubled covered loosely with a clean cloth.
- 11While dough is rising, prepare the filling.
- 12Place brown sugar, raisins grated chocolate well and set aside.
- 13Grease a 10 inch tube pan well, set aside.
- 14When the dough has doubled, puch down, knead a few times, let rest 10 minutes.
- 15Roll out into a rectangle about 14 x 24 inches.
- 16Spread the melted 2 tbsp. butter onto the rolled out dough.
- 17Sprinkle the filling on top of the butter, leaving about an inch around edges to seal.
- 18Roll up starting at long side.
- 19Cut into 12 equal slices.
- 20Place six slices on the out side of pan as lining the sides.
- 21Place the last rolls (with cut sides together) in the centre of pan.
- 22Cover loosely and let rise until dough reaches top of pan about another hour.
- 23Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, Bake 45 minutes to 55 minutes-- Tester into cake should come away clean-- Remove from oven and turn out of the pan onto a wire rack.
- 24Let cool completely.
- 25Serve with a light dusting of confectioners sugar.
- 26Or wrap well in saran wrap and then foil and can be frozen for 4 months.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raisin Chocolate Kugelhopf
Serving Size: 1 (1589 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4517.7
- Calories from Fat 1301
- Total Fat 144.5 g
- Saturated Fat 83.2 g
- Cholesterol 963.9 mg
- Sodium 1541.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 715.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.0 g
- Sugars 255.3 g
- Protein 94.7 g