Prep 2 hrs
Cook 50 mins
Austrian yeast cake, only this one has flecks of chocolate through the filling with raisins...
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 (2 1/2 teaspoon) package active dry yeast
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- powdered sugar, for sprinkling as a garnish
- In a medium saucepot scald the whole milk and remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar, butter, salt, and vanilla.
- Transfer to your large mixer bowl and let cool to lukewarm.
- Using paddle attachment, low speed add 1 1/2 cups of the flour with the yeast.
- Stir in the eggs.
- Then stir in the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time.
- Beat on medium speed until dough starts to come away from sides of bowl.
- Remove the dough from bowl to a floured surface.
- Knead briefly until smooth.
- Grease a clean large bowl, with soft butter, and place dough into bowl to rise untuil doubled covered loosely with a clean cloth.
- While dough is rising, prepare the filling.
- Place brown sugar, raisins grated chocolate well and set aside.
- Grease a 10 inch tube pan well, set aside.
- When the dough has doubled, puch down, knead a few times, let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll out into a rectangle about 14 x 24 inches.
- Spread the melted 2 tbsp. butter onto the rolled out dough.
- Sprinkle the filling on top of the butter, leaving about an inch around edges to seal.
- Roll up starting at long side.
- Cut into 12 equal slices.
- Place six slices on the out side of pan as lining the sides.
- Place the last rolls (with cut sides together) in the centre of pan.
- Cover loosely and let rise until dough reaches top of pan about another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, Bake 45 minutes to 55 minutes-- Tester into cake should come away clean-- Remove from oven and turn out of the pan onto a wire rack.
- Let cool completely.
- Serve with a light dusting of confectioners sugar.
- Or wrap well in saran wrap and then foil and can be frozen for 4 months.