Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Austrian yeast cake, only this one has flecks of chocolate through the filling with raisins...
Make and share this Raisin Chocolate Kugelhopf recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 (2 1/2 teaspoon) package active dry yeast
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- powdered sugar, for sprinkling as a garnish
- In a medium saucepot scald the whole milk and remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar, butter, salt, and vanilla.
- Transfer to your large mixer bowl and let cool to lukewarm.
- Using paddle attachment, low speed add 1 1/2 cups of the flour with the yeast.
- Stir in the eggs.
- Then stir in the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time.
- Beat on medium speed until dough starts to come away from sides of bowl.
- Remove the dough from bowl to a floured surface.
- Knead briefly until smooth.
- Grease a clean large bowl, with soft butter, and place dough into bowl to rise untuil doubled covered loosely with a clean cloth.
- While dough is rising, prepare the filling.
- Place brown sugar, raisins grated chocolate well and set aside.
- Grease a 10 inch tube pan well, set aside.
- When the dough has doubled, puch down, knead a few times, let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll out into a rectangle about 14 x 24 inches.
- Spread the melted 2 tbsp. butter onto the rolled out dough.
- Sprinkle the filling on top of the butter, leaving about an inch around edges to seal.
- Roll up starting at long side.
- Cut into 12 equal slices.
- Place six slices on the out side of pan as lining the sides.
- Place the last rolls (with cut sides together) in the centre of pan.
- Cover loosely and let rise until dough reaches top of pan about another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, Bake 45 minutes to 55 minutes-- Tester into cake should come away clean-- Remove from oven and turn out of the pan onto a wire rack.
- Let cool completely.
- Serve with a light dusting of confectioners sugar.
- Or wrap well in saran wrap and then foil and can be frozen for 4 months.