1/3 Photos of Pumpkin (Or Squash!) Pie
I bought a HUGE white squash at our local farmer's market this weekend; the little old lady selling it told me that I could get "5-6" pies out of it. Well, there was enough squash to make EIGHT PIES! So, I made two and froze the rest of the filling. Anyway, this recipe produces a spectacular pumpkiny custard, and you CAN replace the pumpkin with a mild-flavored squash; simply remove the seeds and rind, cut into chunks and boil until soft. Then puree, and voila--you have what usually comes in the cans! Originally from the Joy of Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells (see my pat-in-the-pan crust, a good and easy pie crust recipe)
- 2 -3 large eggs (use 2 eggs for a firm custard with pronounced pumpkin flavor, or 3 eggs for a softer, more custardy)
- 2 cups freshly cooked pumpkin or 2 cups canned pumpkin or 2 cups squash puree
- 1 1/2 cups light cream (OR 3/4 c milk and 3/4 heavy cream) or 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk (OR 3/4 c milk and 3/4 heavy cream)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves or 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
- 2Whisk eggs; add rest of ingredients.
- 3Warm pie crust in oven until hot to touch, letting custard stand at room temperature.
- 4Pour mixture into crust and bake till center of filling seems set but quivery, like gelatin, when the pan is nudged, 35-45 minutes.
- 5Let cool completely on a rack before slicing!
- 6Refrigerate for up to one day.
- 7Serve cold, at room temp, or slightly warmed, with whipped fresh cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin (Or Squash!) Pie
Serving Size: 1 (1254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2263.9
- Calories from Fat 1262
- Total Fat 140.2 g
- Saturated Fat 61.8 g
- Cholesterol 660.6 mg
- Sodium 2389.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 224.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 106.9 g
- Protein 37.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dark brown sugar