1/4 Photos of Pumpernickel Bread
2 hrs 35 mins
This is a good old-fashioned pumpernickel bread recipe from my German Cooking cookbook. No bread machine here. Get your hands in there and knead! The aroma of the bread while baking and then the taste of the finished bread will be worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the warm water, yeast and sugar. Let sit in a warm place until the yeast mixture turns bubbly (about 5-10 min.).
- 2In a large mixing bowl (I use my Kitchenaid stand mixer with a dough hook), combine remaining 1 cup water, molasses, salt, shortening, caraway seeds and yeast mixture. Beat until smooth.
- 3Slowly beat rye flour into the yeast and molasses mixture. Mix in the all-purpose flour and mix until it is a soft, smooth dough ball.
- 4Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. If dough is too moist, add a little more flour. If dough is too dry add a little more water.
- 5Knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- 6Lightly grease (or spray with cooking spray) a large bowl. Add the dough, turning once to coat the entire surface of dough with oil. Cover dough with a clean cloth and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size (about 1 1/2 hours).
- 7Punch down dough. Separate dough into 2 equal parts. Form 2 round, slightly flattened loaves. Score a 3/4 inch deep 'X" into the tops of both loaves with a sharp knife.
- 8Grease (or spray) a large baking sheet; sprinkle with cornmeal. Put the loaves on top and then cover with a clean cloth and let rise until doubled - about an hour.
- 9Preheat oven to 375 degress F. Bake 30-35 minutes or until crusts are dark brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- 10Remove from baking sheet and cool on a rack before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpernickel Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1602.5
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5281.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 323.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 27.0 g
- Sugars 53.0 g
- Protein 40.2 g