Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I am trying to make a low carb, high protein, high fiber energy bar. I have combined a couple recipes I have found and am trying this today. I have added more protein powder and benefiber to this recipe to make it more of what I want.
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried apricots
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1 cup protein powder
- 1⁄4 cup psyllium (Benefiber)
- 1⁄2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- 1 1⁄2 cups peanut butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread oats, cereal and sesame seeds in 13" x 9" pan.
- bake, stirring occasionally, until oats are toasted, about 15 minutes.
- Add raisins, protein powder, wheat germ and benefiber; Mix till combined.
- Lightly coat pan with cooking spray.
- Combine rice syrup and splend in sauce pan over mediom heat and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in peanut butter, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Pour syrup over oatmeal mixture and stir well.
- Spread mixture into pan, pressing into thin even layer.
- Chill till firm (about 4 hours).
- Cut into 2"x3" bars.
These bars are yummy! They take some work, and make rather a lot of dishes, but are well worth the effort. My coworkers, some of whom are not into 'healthy' food, all loved these. I did sub cranberries for the raisins (healthier), and i didn't have brown rice syrup, so I used honey, and to make it more natural-ish, I used brown sugar instead of splenda. Also, because of the sweetness of these, I cut the honey and sugar to 3/4 cups. It takes a little more to incorporate, but the texture is good (but you really need to get your hands in there to mix it) and the taste is great! Thanks for posting this great recipe!