Prep 15 mins
Cook 13 mins
This cookie recipe took first prize in a contest, it has remained a favorite for many years! :)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup apple, peeled, and finely chopped (Granny Smith apples are best)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 -4 tablespoons apple juice
- Set oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and both sugars together.
- Beat in the egg and apple juice.
- In a small bowl combine the dry ingredients.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture; blend well.
- Mix in the chopped apples and nuts.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place on wire rack to cool.
- For frosting: Beat all frosting ingredients until smooth; frost cookies.
This turned out amazing. I baked the chopped apples in 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup butter, with apple pie spice, roasted cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg to make the apples tender before adding them to the cookie mix. I also added roasted cinnamon and apple pie spice to the icing for extra flavor! Thank you Kittencal for an awesome recipe!!!!
I made this recipe but substituted with 2 cups whole wheat flr and 1/4 cup white flr when I read the reviews that stated their cookies ran a little. This also detracted from the apparent sweetness which for me is much nicer. I made a glaze with powdered sugar and apple juice and everyone loved them.
This recipe is fantastic! I didn't ice them or include the nuts and they were very tasty and moist. Didn't need either. But I'm sure would still be very yummy with either or both. Thank you for this, have a ton of apples from apple picking and will be baking lots and lots of batches of these. Am actually thinking of making whoopie pies with them by sandwiching them w/ cream cheese frosting.